As we grieve our loss, many friends, relatives and neighbors want to help but do not know how. Too often the help is within the first month when you may not be ready to receive or even know what to suggest to them that may truly help you. Here are some suggestions, other than casseroles, for you to suggest to them. If you are that friend, consider asking the griever if your outreach would feel "right" to them. If you are that friend, honor the griever and do ask permission. Asking them empowers them and rewards you in knowing that a need is truly met.
- Leave a new magazine or short note on the doorstep for eight consecutive weeks without speaking. Just ring the doorbell.
- Deliver food in one serving containers that can be frozen. Light meals, like soup, chili, pot pies, where multiple ingredients are mingled. This means good taste, good nutrition and ease of preparation.
- Give your friend a grocery list and have them deliver the items to you.
- If you are not a cook and have kitchen items, swap the items with the friend in exchange for one meal a week for six months. Maybe make it a Tuesday tradition for each of you.
- If you have tools or equipment in the garage you are not using, donate the tools to the friend and ask to exchange for "X" numbers of handyman service hours in the next year.
As a friend consider:
- Placing an affirmation into an inexpensive frame or send a new one each week. We all love to get surprise packages.
- Offering to have your lawn service cut their grass or shovel the snow for 3 months.
- Give a flower a week for 52 weeks. Place the flower in recycled jar and leave on the doorstep. Kindness abounds.
- Give your friend a comfort box to open when they are ready. Place inside: new slippers,Twizzler's, candle, book of short stories, an Etchasketch, a glass ornament for the window, a fuzzy blanket, a stuffed animal with name tag to fill out for it. Allow fun!
These ideas are steppingstones for your creativity. The only rule is " No Rules Allowed".
May those in grief find comfort in the small changes you make in your life. You are a champion and deserve the honor bestowed upon you. Abundant blessings await you!